How to combat the blues this winter, and we don’t mean on the tips of your fingers.
As the weather is getting colder and colder, we can really feel winter is approaching. For some people this may mean woolly jackets, warm nights by the fireplace with a warm drink, and binge watching your favourite show. However, for some people this time of the year doesn’t bring those warm fuzzy
feelings. If the colder weather and shorter days are causing you to feel the winter blues, you’re not alone. It’s not uncommon this time of the year, to experience fatigue, sadness, difficulty concentrating, and a disruption in your sleep schedule. Thankfully, because this change is a universal experience and is spoken about candidly and openly, there are many ways to fight the winter blues. The girls at Sarah Urban sat down and compiled a list of remedies for the body, soul and mind this season.
For the body:
- Firstly, the easiest way to combat the cold is to stay warm, luckily we have cosy and stylish jackets and knits to keep you warm this season. Our caramel teddy jacket has been incredibly popular in-store, catching the eye of almost everyone that comes in! Fully lined with pockets and a zip up option, it is guaranteed to keep you cosy.
- Rug up and get out. We know its so tempting to stay inside all day when its icy outside, but layer up and go for short walks with a friend. Exercise and social connectedness are both very important in fighting the blues. Even a 20 minute stretch every morning will keep your body feeling as though it wont cease up and snap the second you step out into the cold. Browse our yoga section online to see our beautiful range of Yogi Peace Club mats and active wear.
- Cook up some warm, comforting recipes. Cooking a stew on a hot summer day is a terrible idea, but it’s the perfect way to spend a few hours in the winter. Plus, your kitchen will smell amazing and you can have awesome leftovers for lunch the next day. When most people think of winter meals, they think of soup- it’s a great way to pack your meal with veggies and make sure you body is getting everything it needs. The girls have complied their favourite soup recipes and are available for purchase in our winter subscription box.
For the mind:
- Find a winter-only activity you really enjoy and schedule a lot of it. Research shows that simply anticipating something you like makes you happier, so this is a practical way to put that into action. Keeping your hands busy will not only keep them warm, but it takes your mind off of things. Puzzles are the perfect winter hobby, and we have a beautiful range of them in-store and online.
- Make a habit of writing down three things you are grateful for at the start of each day. This way you are training your mind to look at the positives in life.
For the Soul:
- Treat yourself to a few little luxuries. Stuff doesn’t make you happier. But having a few small winter-specific luxuries can help you feel warmer and cosier and make all the difference in finding that sweet spot between insufferable and totally bearable. Leather pieces are always a great investment and are a staple in most peoples’ wardrobes during winter. Online and in store we have timeless Travis & Joy leather jackets available in black, navy and baby pink and their stylish black leather pants.
- Spend more time with someone who loves winter. There are tons of studies showing that the people with whom we surround ourselves make a big difference: the emotions of others affect us in good and bad ways. For example, if your friends are happier, you’re more likely to feel more optimistic and positive yourself. So if you know someone who loves winter, spend time with them!